It wouldn’t be a Put-in-Bay summer without several visits to The Round House Bar. This island institution has been a favorite for over 140 years. You know it’s open when the “Whiskey” light is lit up. Head on in and have a grand old time.
The Round House Bar History
Originally the Columbia Restaurant, the building opened in 1873. Back then, there was no way to keep things cool. So the intrepid island dwellers figured out an ingenious way. They served up ice cream and cottage cheese using blocks of ice gathered from Lake Erie in the winter. Housed in what is now the Put-in-Bay Winery, the ice kept things nice and cold.
The famous circular bar built in 1944 by the Greunke family gave The Round House its signature look. They commissioned the Cincinnati Brewing Company to construct it. It was the perfect place to hold concerts “in the round,” and Mrs. Greunke was often the featured pianist. They moved the stage to its current location so the performer wouldn’t play with their back to the audience.
The McCann family has owned The Round House since the early 1950’s. They were responsible for painting it its signature red, white, and blue. Artist Scott LoBadio painted the outside and the inside walls features murals by Canoe Bob.
Summer’s at The Roundhouse
The Round House is the perfect place to spend a summer day. The indoor/outdoor feel is friendly and fun. Drinks are always flowing and live music is on tap. They host a variety of acts all summer long! Some favorites include Mike “Mad Dog” Adams, the Killer Flamingos, and Ray Fogg. Most days include an afternoon and evening show.
Come and party in the red, white, and blue Round House Bar. Located right next door to the Park Hotel, it is in the very heart of downtown Put-in-Bay.