“Put-in-Bay Road Race Reunion” Showcasing Fabulous Vintage Sports Cars
8th Annual reunion scheduled for August 29-31, 2016:
• Exotic vintage sport cars return for three days of qualifying, racing and a car show in Put-in-Bay
• Events are open to the public, “FAN ZONE” with special viewing areas close to the action
August, 2016 – Put-in-Bay, South Bass Island, Ohio –
The Put-in-Bay Vintage Sports Car Road Race Spectator Experience 2016
Put-in-Bay has a long and wonderful history with sports car enthusiasts that dates back to the early days of Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio. Back when families would spend the day watching competitive racing in small engine sports cars. Home built and modified MG, Triumphs, Saabs, Volvos and Austin Healeys would face off against team Porches and Alfa Romeos.
Throughout the 1950s (and once in 1963) these drivers would come to South Bass Island and race on the regular roads and village streets of the island. Flash forward to 2016 and the spirit of the old Road Race, which returns to Put-in-Bay, is alive and ready to roll. This year the Put-in-Bay Chamber of Commerce is excited to promote the “FAN ZONE” spectator experience at the Road Races Reunion. The “rain or shine” racing is at the Put-in-Bay Port Authority Airport.
In past years very few outside local race enthusiasts knew about the races. Viewing was limited and a distance from the action. This year we will have a special “FAN ZONE” viewing area close to the track. This restricted entry area includes both a hard lot and a grassy area so bring your lawn chairs. The “FAN ZONE” includes the “winners circle”, tent covered bleacher seats with food and beverage vendors. Free parking is available. All spectators will receive a wristband that provides access to viewing areas, race paddock, vending and the car show on Wednesday. No coolers allowed in “FAN ZONE”.
Put-in-Bay Road Race Events
• Aug. 29th 11-4pm Time trial qualifications are held at the PIB Port Authority airport..
• Aug. 29th 6pm. Registered race cars, show cars and vintage vehicles stage at the airport and do two paced laps of the island following the original race route.
• Aug. 30th 10-4pm Racing by classification all day at the airport
• Aug. 31st 8:30am- 11am- A special car show featuring the race cars and local vintage cars will be held at McCann field.
Take time to explore other island treasures including the caves, limestone beaches, State Parks, wineries and Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial.
Sponsors of the 8th Annual Road Race Reunion include the Put-in-Bay Road Races Reunion Heritage Society, Put-in-Bay Chamber of Commerce, and the Put-in-Bay Port Authority. The Put-in-Bay Condos help sponsor the press. Visit http://www.pibroadrace.com/ for more details.